Thursday 26 May 2011

Intelligence will not earn you more respect...if you are a recruiter

As we value adding recruiters sit in our offices day after day, staring at the same database of candidates (until we have to utilise the discounted eye checks our employers promise and probably take a scummy commission from), the outside world fills with excitement. Revolution parades through the Middle East,(sort of) radicals protest against spending cuts  and we... have our heads stuck in the burning furnace of rejection, listening to the world's most hated people telling us to eat what pigs happily roll in.

With the world passing by, you’d think you’d be able to turn to colleagues for inspiring intelligent conversation. This may be true for doctors and engineers but not for salespeople.

Look, I’ll be honest. I’m not the brightest bulb in the box, I’m a recruitment consultant. But you know what? I’m probably the brightest recruiter in London. Why?  Because I got a 3rd class in English Literature from the University of Winchester. Unfortunately my polytechnic colleagues think I’m an intelligent snob whenever I try and start a conversation about famous Shakespeare books I haven’t got round to reading yet, like Pride and Prejudice.

Mind you, it’s the receptionist I feel sorry for. She thinks Jim is an intellectual snob because he got a 1st  from Nottingham Trent despite “hospitality management, being, like, really, really hard”. Still, recruiters are treated with more disdain than receptionists? It’s such an unjust world!

No comments:

Post a Comment